Augmentation Mammaplasty or breast augmentation refers to a type of cosmetic surgery in which a silicone or saline breast implant is placed behind the tissue of the breast or beneath the chest muscle to add size, shape, and fullness to the breast. Breast augmentation is a very common procedure that can be performed as soon as the breasts are fully developed. This procedure is often used to make smaller breasts appear larger, correct the balance of asymmetrical breasts or restore fullness to the breasts that has diminished due to age or pregnancy.
The process of breast augmentation surgery takes over several weeks from the initial consultation. Communication between the patient and doctor is very important because several decisions must be made prior to the surgery.
Breast enhancement with implants allow you to customize the shape of your breasts. Because of this, there are several options in choosing implants. The size, shape, texture, material and placement can be customized to fit your particular needs. Also, another important decision, is choosing the incision site for your implants. Typically, there are three options:
- Underneath the breast (inframammary augmentation)
- the lower half of the areola (periareolar augmentation)
- through an armpit incision (axillary augmentaiton).
- Some doctors may perform an endoscopic procedure through the belly button (umbilical augmentation).
Your surgeon will help you determine which is best for you.
In addition to discussing implant options, the doctor will ask the patient to follow some specific instructions from the doctor during the weeks before the surgery that will help achieve the best results. Though chances of complications are low, it is important that any patient considering this procedure is fully aware of the risks.
The following are the primary safety risks that are associated with breast augmentation:
- Build-up of scar tissue that can cause firmness around the implant. If this becomes severe, corrective surgery may be necessary.
- Infections are rare, but can develop if the surgical site is not cared for properly. This can be treated with antibiotics.
- Deflation is generally harmless, but can require an additional procedure to replace the implant.
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Augmentation with Lift
- Implants Exchange
- Lift with Fat Transfer
The time in surgery can last between one to five hours. Breast augmentation is a procedure that requires advanced surgical skill. The challenge of this procedure is to leave the breast looking as natural as possible while enhancing its size and shape. It is important that the patient understands that no two breasts are exactly alike, and that they results of breast augmentation will vary from person to person. The surgeon’s task is to improve the symmetry of the breasts to the best of his ability. Patients with realistic expectations gain the most satisfaction from the procedure.
If you live in or around our area, schedule a consultation with our surgeon to determine whether you are a good candidate for Bowling Green breast augmentation.