Not every styling method is equally safe to conduct. An unfortunate reality is that heat styling can cause follicle damage if done incorrectly. If you’ve recently had a specialized treatment for hair loss, such as a hair transplant using our advanced ARTAS system, you must be especially careful about the effects of heat on your hair. Fortunately, there are some simple guidelines for retaining and regaining your hair’s luster. Read our guide to treating—and avoiding—heat damaged natural hair.
What Causes Heat Damage to Hair?
The term “heat damage” is a fairly self-explanatory phenomenon. Heat damage can occur after excessive use of a blow dryer, curling irons, or hair appliances that require high temperatures to work.
While the cause might be obvious, the symptoms can be more subtle. If you’ve noticed your hair refusing to fit into your preferred style, becoming dry or stringy, or have seen white nodes at the ends of your follicles, your natural hair may be heat damaged. The good news is that you are not the first person to deal with heat damaged natural hair, so we know just how to treat it!
How Can I Prevent Heat Damage to My Hair?
The best way to treat heat damaged natural hair is to avoid heat damage in the first place! If you can’t bear to give up your heated hair tools entirely, you can mitigate the potential damage by lowering the heat on your hairdryer and curling irons. It’s also recommended to keep your blow dryer about five inches or more away from your scalp when using it.
Furthermore, washing your hair with cold water, drying it with a microfiber towel, and sleeping on silk pillows will go a long way towards making sure your hair recovers from heat damage. Using a shampoo designed to facilitate hair growth can also help you avoid the appearance of heat damaged natural hair by growing new, healthy hair.
How Should I Treat Heat Damaged Hair?
If it’s a little too late for prevention, there are still some effective methods for treating heat damaged natural hair. While these methods cannot fully return your hair to its undamaged self, they are helpful for rejuvenating your hair and improving its appearance.
- Hair rejuvenation serums use sophisticated blends of powerful ingredients that promote healing and restoration. Using hair serums is as simple as massaging the serum into your scalp twice a day without rinsing it out. Your hair will absorb the vitamins and proteins in the serum and undergo an expedited healing process thanks to their benefits.
- Hair rejuvenating conditioner and hair rejuvenating shampoo can bolster the effects of a hair serum by ensuring you aren’t washing the serum out of your hair with harsh chemicals each time you shower! Rejuvenating shampoos and conditioners treat your hair with restorative ingredients that hydrate and renew.
- Trim the tips of your hair regularly, or visit your stylist if you are uncomfortable doing this yourself. Split ends are a telltale sign of heat damaged natural hair, so maintaining healthy ends is a crucial part of regaining the appearance of healthy hair.
Consider a Hair Transplant
On occasion, the best option for treating heat damaged natural hair is not simply switching shampoos, but also considering a hair transplant. This will rarely be necessary, but if your heat damaged natural hair seems to be beyond repair after a long period of attempting to nurse it back to health, a hair transplant may be what you need to truly rejuvenate your hair. Dr. Salameh only uses the revolutionary hair transplant system ARTAS to perform this procedure, guaranteeing natural results more dramatic than those of even the best of shampoos! If other hair restoration procedures have not managed to do the trick, ARTAS is guaranteed to bring back the healthy, full-bodied hair you may have lost to the effects of heat damage.
Fix Your Heat Damaged Natural Hair with Salameh Plastic Surgery and Hair Transplant
Here at Salameh Plastic Surgery and Hair Transplant, we have extensive experience treating your heat damaged natural hair through methods such as our medical-grade serums, shampoos, and conditioners, as well as through the ARTAS hair transplant system. Our small-scale and intimately sized staff of skilled experts mean we get to know each of our patients on a personal level. The satisfaction of our patients is our number one priority, so we tailor our procedures to fit our patients’ wants and needs. If you have found little respite with other methods of allaying your heat damaged natural hair, you can turn to Salameh Plastic Surgery and Hair Transplant for effective results.
To learn more about our rates and availability, get in touch with us! Our facility is located in beautiful Bowling Green, Kentucky, but patients from all over the world have come to our offices to enhance their appearance with the expertise of Dr. Salameh. Get your heat damaged natural hair under control with the help of the experts at Salameh Plastic Surgery and Hair Transplant today.
How Does Heat Damage Occur?
Heat damage to hair most frequently occurs when appliances such as blow dryers and curling irons are used to treat and style hair using high temperatures. If used improperly or overused, these methods can cause hair strands to split, wither, and lose their body more rapidly over time.
How Can You Prevent Heat Damage?
Heat damage can be prevented by:
- Moderating the temperature of your styling devices
- Sleeping on silk sheets to prevent further hair abrasion
- Cooling your hair immediately after treating it with heat
- Keeping your blow dryer at an appropriate distance during use
- Utilizing safe and healthy shampoos and conditioners to facilitate hair growth
How Can I Treat Existing Hair Damage?
- Use hydrating hair serums twice a day to bolster hair health
- Use shampoos and conditioners specifically designed to facilitate hair growth
- Trim the ends of your hair regularly to improve the appearance of your hair
- Consider an ARTAS hair transplant if other measures have not delivered your desired results
To learn more about your hair restoration options, get in touch with the experts at Salameh Plastic Surgery and Hair Transplant today!